Thursday, July 28, 2016

Egg Jackpot

I haven't had eggs for months. By the time Peep was born (4 1/2 months ago) it had already been a while since our last eggs. Our two adult hens have been constantly broody that our eggs from them have been pretty sporadic since we got them. Our two oldest pullets were only 22 weeks old when Peep was born, and as heritage breeds were going to take longer to start laying. Then winter came.
My hens have never been good about laying in their nesting boxes, and since they free range in our yard it was often a few days before I would find their latest nesting spot. I always went egg hunting a couple of times a week and eventually find some eggs once they started laying again. At first being heavily pregnant and then having a tiny newborn and not spending much time outside it took me quite a while to realise that months had passed without any eggs. Not even from our ducks. Well the more time that passed the more I began to worry that they had found the most epic nesting spot somewhere in our yard - most likely under the house - and we would never find it until a hundred eggs began to rot.
Then one day two eggs appeared in the nesting box which lasted around a week, which reduced to just one egg a day for another ten days or so, and then we had no eggs again for a couple more weeks. I've been spending more time outside again and have been hearing the egg song, so again began to worry they've been laying in a place I'll never find. Or possibly even worse, that I have an egg eater in my flock.
The past week we found a couple of clutches of duck eggs; a dozen under the house and six in the duck coop one day, and three duck eggs in the coop the next. (We have three mature ducks, and all of the previous days eggs passed the float test so I didn't test those three, and of course one turned out to be an egg my girls had missed the previous day. And it had been there a while. A long long while. Needless to say I will be floating EVERY egg before I use it for a long time to come...) At the same time we started getting one chicken egg a day in the nesting box as well, and for the past 3-4 days have been getting one duck egg daily. So this has been a good egg week for a change.
Today was even better as I was outside when I happened to see one of the chickens come out from under the house singing the egg song, and hit the jackpot when I discovered their nest under our Christmas tree - a spot they have used on several occasions before and one which I know I had checked at least a couple of weeks ago.
Oh happy day! Especially when they all passed the float test too. Plus two more chicken eggs and a duck egg. One new egg under the Christmas tree later in the day, and I discovered that our Bantam leghorn (who ironically is our biggest chicken) is the one who has been laying in the coop. Way to go resisting peer pressure Rocket!
Here is Chickadee with Rocket

Anyway I am happy to have eggs again and curious to find out how many of them have been laying there. Hopefully if an epic secret egg stash DOES exist they don't abandon their spot under the tree for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment