Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Can I Milk a Horse?

That was the question 4 year old Bowerbird asked last night at bedtime. We watched two videos this last week of milkings - one of a goat and one of a cow which must have piqued her interest enough for it to become a burning question she just had to know the answer to in order to sleep.
We ended up talking about what animals produce milk and what animals don't, but how only a few animals make enough that people can share it with their babies. She still wants to be able to milk the ducks and chickens though, and a crocodile. Though she did seem to settle for being allowed to help milk the goats we will have at some future date.

Then this morning she built a stanchion out of duplo so her toys could milk a cow. I love it. I love her little sponge brain that has already picked up so much about farm life. Like the time she found two unshelled sunflower seeds and asked to take them home to plant them. The fact that she always crows like a rooster to signify morning when playtimes. Her eagerness to overturn big rocks to look for bugs to feed to Banner. She (and her siblings) is a big part of why I want to homestead.

Today I had hoped to start a mini kitchen garden for some salad greens in a big galvanized tin washtub I was given, using compost from my own compost pile, but that just didn't happen. Maybe tomorrow. Instead today Bowerbird and Chickadee helped me bake a (non-alcoholic of course) Black Forest cake for their best friend's dad's birthday tomorrow. They did a really good job of it too. I only beat and folded in the egg whites and sliced the layers (and of course handled the oven and they did the rest. We still need to decorate it in the morning.

it.

(That jar is bone broth I put on yesterday. It's been too long since my last batch and I'm looking forward to making something yummy with )

No comments:

Post a Comment