Wednesday, August 10, 2016

This Week's Happenings

I am really enjoying the steady supply of eggs we've been getting I have to say. We've been getting 2 duck eggs and 3-4 chicken eggs every day which is more than we need for our use. When I get a dozen duck eggs I'm going to take them to our neighbour who is often sharing produce from their garden with us.



The girls and I did go ahead and plant some lettuce last week. We have a couple of shoots now which they are excited about. I'm also planning to get some soil, milk crates and landscape fabric and start a strawberry tower, and plant a mini herb garden in some styrofoam boxes my mom picked up for me on the weekend. There's no excuse for me not to do more to be homesteading right here and now, even if we do hope to not be here much longer.



I'm working on adjusting my attitude regarding housework - to do it more diligently and joyfully, and also to encourage Bower Bird and Chickadee to do more as well. Children are excellent imitators and at this age have such a willingness and even desire to help out and have a purpose and I really should cultivate that so they don't become as lazy as their mother learn valuable life skills and get used to the expectation that everyone be doing something to help. The way to accomplish all that I believe is to majorly decrease and declutter our possessions. A facebook friend shared this article today which served as an excellent reminder to me that children are so capable, but its on me to keep them from being overwhelmed by too much stuff.
We have begun with them putting their own clothes away in their drawers and making their beds in the morning. Their completely empty drawers since I took every article of clothing out to wash and sort, only a few articles of which are being returned to them.



Tech-Daddy's birthday is coming up on Sunday and yesterday I made beef jerky as his birthday present.
I'm very pleased with how it turned out too. I don't know why I was so intimidated by the dehydrator for so long, but now that I've had two successes with it I expect I will be using it quite a bit so stay tuned for more food preserving endeavours. And also for pie making since he prefers lemon pie to birthday cake.


Our flock is now down to ten - we sold our little drake and he was picked up on Thursday. It was a bit sad to see him go as he was very pretty and he had a good temperament, plus he was one of our own hatched ducklings. But we just don't have the space to support two drakes, and Banner is far too loved by the girls (and as friendly as any dog) for him to be the one replaced.


And lastly, unfortunately there have been no further leads on a property to rent. I'm really having a hard time regretting having turned down the other place. There was just so much to have loved about it. The house itself really was quite small though so I know turning it down was for the best as we would likely have very soon been feeling very crowded.

No comments:

Post a Comment